Site Information

 Loading... Please wait...

Blog

background and History of Gucci

Posted by Pat on

A craftsman’s son, Guccio Gucci founded the House of Gucci as a saddlery shop in Florence in 1906. Born in 1881, Guccio's first talent was his craftsmanship in leather goods. He started out selling leather bags to horsemen in the 1920’s and advanced to luxury luggage as his clients progressed from equine transportation to horseless carriages. Guccio Gucci in 1938 opened the first retail shop on the Via Condotti in Rome.

Gucci was recognized as an icon in 1947 and that is when the leather bag with bamboo handle, is created. During the 1950’s the trademark red striped webbing was introduced, taken from its original form place on a saddle girth. That became an emblem much as the leather moccasin with leather bit.

Back to Top